Measuring audio visual
In early 2012 the broadcast industry came together to address a variety of needs, including:
- Enabling media buyers to effectively compare performance of online audio visual (AV) content across the network
- Raising the profile of video as an effective advertising channel and help it compete with other media for allocation of advertising budgets
- Ensuring that rights holders were acknowledged and rewarded for content viewed online
The industry agreed it needed a set of industry approved metrics, forming base level reporting standards for online Audio Visual (AV) consumption.
A Digital Audio/Visual Content Measurement Group (DCMG) was formed to propose metrics for site-centric measurement of digital audio visual content to JICWEBS. The committee consists of stakeholder representatives from BBC, BSkyB, Channel 4 and ITV, with Virgin and the IPA as Partners. BARB and the PRS sat on the group as observers.
The Digital Audio/Visual Content Measurement Group (DCMG) is charged with the ongoing development of site-centric measurement standards for all online audio/visual content. Its vision is that:
• Census based online data for all types of content is collected and reported to industry agreed standards
• A common, trusted, base level of requirements for census data is adopted by all who report and/or use the data within any hybrid or single source solution
• That all online content providers are able to use these standards to ensure consistency throughout the market
As an umbrella committee, the DCMG’s purpose included overseeing the operation and progress of two working parties:
- Digital Content Working Party (DCWP)
- Rights Simulcast Working Party (RSWP)
In 2013, BARB took over the running of the DCWP. ABC continue to be involved to ensure that the work of BARB and the stakeholders remains aligned with JICWEBS; in particular, that any new standards are submitted to JICWEBS for approval and adoption by the wider industry.
Separately, the Rights Simulcast Working Party (RSWP) continues the work of a previous industry group, the Broadband Measurement Working Group (BMWG), which was set up to deliver a Rights metric and continued sample-based Simulcast reporting of that metric every 6 months to the Rights Owners. This metric was endorsed by JICWEBS in 2009.
In November 2015 JICWEBS approved a new metric “Average Ad Streams” following consultation with BARB and other stakeholders.
The current AV metrics approved by JICWEBS can be found in the AV and Ad Web Traffic Reporting Standards.