DTSG Brand Safety
The Digital Trading Standards Group (DTSG) was set up in 2012 to bring the industry together to propose guidelines aimed at significantly reducing the risk of misplacement of advertising across the digital trading ecosystem.
The DTSG Good Practice Principles are the basis of our certification for brand safety.
1. The Buyers and Sellers of digital display and audio advertising shall ensure that the transaction follows a Primary Agreement or Contract.
2. This should include where the advertising should (or shouldn’t) appear, using independently-certified Content Verification (CV) tools or schedules. For example, the City of London Police Intellectual Property Crime Unit (PIPCU) makes available a list of copyright-infringing websites which could be cross-checked against a schedule.
3. Sellers should confirm how they minimise the risk of ad misplacement, whether inventory is sourced directly or indirectly.
4. Sellers should be able to explain the process(es) that do this.
5. They should have policies defined, to respond appropriately to ad misplacement via takedown, and processes to meet these policies.
6. They should nominate a Responsible Officer for JICWEBS DTSG Brand Safety issues.
7. Each Signatory will have their ad misplacement minimisation policies independently verified by a JICWEBS-approved provider.
The City of London Police Intellectual Property Crime Unit (PIPCU) makes available a list of copyright-infringing websites to the advertising industry
Content Verification Tools
Content Verification (CV) technology is designed to crawl through hundreds of web pages, classifying the content and making decisions on whether the content is appropriate for the advertising campaign.
Our CV Tools Best Practice Principles aim to bring clarity to the claims of CV products by delivering a set of industry agreed standards that companies can be certified against. These principles are designed to test the ability of CV products to block and/or report, in real time, the serving of an online ad onto destinations that have been defined in advance by the client